Wednesday, July 22, 2009

All the broken bits that make you trip up and grassy bits in between.

The idea of catching up the last three and a half days is a little overwhelming. And each day was so awesome that to describe every detail of each day is crazy. So. I have an hour. And you will get, that much of information. unless Eugenie comes back, because I need to talk to her. haha. 

Neal left off on saturday night, the Jack the Ripper Tour. Even right now, four days later, it gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about that tour. It'd be cool for you guys to do (mom, dad, sarah) when you come sometime...but i probably won't tag along. haha. yucky. 

Sunday morning we went over to the museum area of South Kensington early because we had a lot to do that day. We did Natural History first, since I kinda knew my way around there and knew we could do it fast. We selected exhibits: Dinosaurs (still my favorite, haha), other fossils, and then we did the whole Earth section which i hadn't done yet. They had an earthquake simulator that was kinda lame but still a lot of fun. We saw a lot. Then we ran over to Victoria and Albert and had a picnic on the lawn in the middle of the museum, which sandwiches, pasta salad, and i had a Mocha cuz it was cold out. Then we did V&A. I love the V&A. It has SO much in it, and all of is not only interesting, but beautiful. We just ran through my favorite exhibits there too because we didn't have long: Sculptures, old Britain (included old time Bookmaking), Stained Glass, Jewelry, Fashion, Theater and Performance, and ran through gold and silver. I love that museum.

On our way back to Russell Square station we picked up cheap milkshakes from this place just outside, despite the cold. This milkshake place is cool  because the guy just has a bunch of english chocolate bars (which you can't buy themselves, kinda funny) and you pick your chocolate bar and he adds vanilla ice cream and makes a milkshake. yum. Our new favorite candy/milkshake is bueno bars (chocolate flaky crust and hazelnut filling mmm), but I'm going to get a Rolo bar milkshake next time (chocolate with soft toffee inside...mmmmm). We drank them as we went over to Sadler's Wells Theatre to see Dorian Gray (#2 for me and first time for neal). Again, it was excellent, but the audience was a lot lamer (sunday matinee, go figure). so awesome. i love dancing. 

We were going to try to do Science Museum after, but everything closes ridiculously early on Sundays here, so I decided to show Neal Covent Garden, what used to be an old fruit and vegetable market that has been turned into a lot of shops and restaurants and is overall just a really cool area. We went to a Wagamama nearby, which is a japanese chain i've been wanting to try. We loved it! we got chicken and vegetable dumplings and then got a pasta (wagamama is known for its noodle dishes) with chicken, prawns, and peppers. SO good! but we did have a hard time eating pasta with chopsticks! oh boy! Cool thing about asian restaurants in London: you have to ASK if you want silverware....and no one does. So, under pressure, I've gotten a lot better at using them. I met my match with pasta though. that was intense, but I definitely made less of a mess than Neal did! :)

After wagamama we walked around and watched a street performer for awhile (there were also a bunch of crazy people statues - a dog in a doghouse, an invisible mad, etc!) then as we were leaving we walked by a BEN's Cookies!!!!!!! from Oxford!!! I was so happy we got a small box of all different kinds and were off to BFI IMAX, the largest movie screen in  Britain to see Harry Potter 6!

We got the only tickets left...front row center, which if you can imagine in an imax, is huge, daniel radcliffe's fae was like 20 feet tall. Not to mention, the first twelve minutes were in 3-D so it was pretty trippy. but we leaned back as best we could and enjoyed our cookies :)

As for Harry Potter... it was good. I feel bad, saying "sorry it really wasn't the most epic thing I'd ever seen in my life." I still have a lot of issues with some people in the movie who cant act. and I think I'm finally getting too old for the HP fan frenzy. I'll just be glad when all the movies are over truthfully. It was a good movie.
My favorite part of the movie, however, had nothing to do with HP itself, but just the girl who played Lavender Brown, Jessica Cave (aka Jessie), who had played the academic genius Thomasina in Arcadia which we saw two weeks ago. Though I liked her as Lavender a lot better, I thought it was crazy how I was like 5 rows away from her! I love famous people in London because they're everywhere!!!

Anyway, here's what she looked like in Arcadia, for all you HP readers...

(little different, eh?)

So the experience of seeing harry potter, was overall, sorry to say, a little more fun than the movie itself, but we had a great time.

Worst part of the day was the fact that my weird sickness came back, harder than it's ever been back before, I cried literally all day because my eyes were so watery, by the end of the day my face was all red and puffy and i looked terrible. :( not fun. next day it was okay and then on tuesday i was fine. so weird. 

Waterloo underground station was closed after HP and that was annoying. this policeman asked me "where are you going?" and I was like "russell square" and he just said "wrong answer." was a total jerk and unhelpful. we ended up taking a taxi, it didnt end up being too expensive and the guy was nice and brought us right to Langton Close. 

--------

Okay I'm going to stop here. I talked to geoff and eugenie for a little bit while writing this and now have run out of time. Off to see La Cage Aux Folles tonight. Heard we're in the 2nd row. Not really sure I want to be that close to see every....detail. should be interesting though. Havent seen the show done professionally anyway (unless Mark IV is really professional???) i'll cover monday, tuesday, and today after the show tonight.  But I'll give out some news right now:

-We also got assigned our new scenes, I'm with Geoff again! crazy, we're the only two that are together again. Our scene is from A Streetcar Named Desire and I'll be playing Blanche, which is unlike any other character I've played before so should be a difficult/but definitely fun challenge! I'm VERY excited. :)
-I'll be singing Stars and the Moon from Songs for a New World at the Musical Mock Audition next week. I talked to Clum and he actually recommended it for me so I'm going to do it! We'll be critiqued by three famous people (haha), including Matt Ryan who has musical directed tons of stuff here, and started his career when he played Oliver as a child, the musical director of Mamma Mia! (london - can't recall his name right now, ill get back to you), and Bob West (who was the production coordinator for some little shows like Cats, Phantom, les Mis, Miss Saigain, etc, and does a lot of casting for shows, etc)
-Cameron, Ted, Kyle, and I are getting lunch with Clum tomorrow to talk about how to improve Hoof n Horn so that'll be fun.

okay, off to the show! more later 
bec

3 comments:

  1. Ahh reading about those milkshakes made me miss them so much! Confession: I ate one of Reed's bueno bars. I'm sorry! They were just so yummy! I left the other one for him though.

    Sounds like you've got an awesome second half coming up, I'm glad you're doing stars and the moon. I love hearing you sing that.

    Can't wait to hear what you say about our tour and the play you saw tonight!

    I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bit...in NC now..
    Keep catching us up with what you've been doing, love to hear. I'm so impressed with how you got Neal all over London! and you did so many interesting little things...those are frequently the ones that make the trip special!
    Sorry it didn't work out for Ireland! I checked last night & there was a flight from another airport that arrived around the same time, but you were sleeping and when I cked this am it was gone too!!
    Tonight Jerusalem...wonder how that will be!
    Love, Your Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time, try stabbing the pasta noodle with the end of the chopstick.

    ReplyDelete